PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome, occurs when a woman’s hormones are unbalanced. Difficulty getting pregnant and problems with a regular period are two of the most common issues caused by PCOS. If you’re wondering how to treat PCOS, you should know that there are a few steps that should be followed immediately.
If it’s not treated properly or not treated at all, PCOS can cause further health problems, including heart disease and diabetes.
Most women will have small cysts grow inside of their body. While not painful or harmful, these cysts are what cause the imbalance to occur. Diagnosing PCOS early can help prevent long-term issues from arising.
Table of Contents
PCOS Natural Treatment
There are several natural remedies for PCOS that will aid in pregnancy and help alleviate the long-term effects of PCOS on the body.
1. PCOS Supplements
Several supplements and vitamins have been manufactured in an attempt to treat PCOS. If a woman does have a vitamin deficiency, this may be the cause of the hormonal imbalance. Unfortunately, many vitamins for PCOS have not undergone sufficient testing or research to deem them viable treatment options.
The most common supplement and vitamins to treat PCOS infertility are:
- Flaxseed oil
- Maitake Mushroom
Inositol is possibly effective at treating PCOS and is currently the best supplement to take. A few other options include:
- Fish Oil: Omega-3 fats have been shown to help moderate hormonal balances in the body when taken daily for six months with dosages of 1,500 mg. Real fish can also be eaten.
- Vitamin D: Given to you naturally from the sun. A small study of 13 women that had menstrual cycle irregularities became regular after Vitamin D levels in the body increased.
The three most effective and common supplements are: fish oil, vitamin D and Inositol.
2. The Best Diet for PCOS
There are foods you want to avoid and foods that you want to introduce into your diet. A polycystic ovary syndrome diet is relatively easy to follow and very healthy.
Foods to Avoid
- Dairy: Many dairy products cause testosterone levels in the body to increase. Milk, for example, has shown to increase testosterone levels, further causing hormone imbalances.
- Soy: Soy has been shown to contain estrogen. When a woman has hormonal imbalances, estrogen is normally one of the hormones that will be out of balance. Avoiding soy products as much as possible is recommended.
- Bad Fats: Red meats are a great example of foods that contain bad fats. Trans fats, hydrogenated fats and saturated fats are all products you should not consume. Meat can increase estrogen production in the body and stop other nutrients from being absorbed.
It can be difficult to completely cut out red meat and dairy from your diet, so you’ll want to start slowly. It’s best to limit your intake over time and completely eliminate these foods if changes do not occur.
Foods to Eat
The foods that you’ve been told to eat your whole life are recommended yet again. The following should be eaten:
- Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables are filled with antioxidants and vitamins. You’ll want to eat these foods as a way to boost the vitamin and nutrient levels in your body.
- Fruit: Several fruits should be eaten as they are filled with fiber, minerals and high volumes of vitamins. Cherries, apples, pears, grapes, prunes and apricots are just a few of the fruits to introduce into your diet.
This is the easiest polycystic ovarian syndrome natural treatment and will lead to a much healthier lifestyle.
The final method of how to treat PCOS is exercise. Women that have PCOS are advised to exercise 30 – 60 minutes per day. You will want to have a mix of both cardiovascular and strength training in your routine for best results.
Many women that have trouble managing their weight because of PCOS find lasting results through exercise.
Lifting weights is especially important because it improves the body’s insulin levels and helps with weight loss. A recent study showed that women who are obese and have PCOS have a much harder time losing weight with exercise. The results of the study indicated that the hormonal imbalances in the body were not allowing the women’s body to react to exercise positively.
Strength training is very important as muscle burns more calories than fat. Also, strength training will help the body fight against insulin resistance. Exercise has been further shown to increase the muscle’s ability to effectively manage glucose in the body.
Improving your overall health when suffering from PCOS will help you get pregnant and remain healthy.
If you still want to know how to get pregnant with PCOS naturally, you will need to consult with a medical professional. Hormonal imbalances can be caused by a variety of different irregularities, and you may need to undergo hormonal therapy in severe cases. There is hope for every woman that wants to know how to treat PCOS effectively.