Tubes tied is also termed as tubal ligation or tubectomy. It is the process of sterilization where the women’ Fallopian tubes are blocked. This surgical procedure prevents eggs from reaching the uterus to avoid sperm to pass through and prevent implantation. Some people call the process of blocking the tubes being clamped or severed and sealed.
The procedure of tubal ligation was first started in 1930 and it was quite risky. You might be having question in your mind like.
Is it safe to go for tubes tied?
What is the procedure
What are the side effects of having tubes tied?
What if they get loose
Are there any side effects of getting the tubes tied?
What is an ectopic pregnancy and what it has to do with tubes tied?
In this article, you can find the right answers.
Let us understand why does a woman go for this procedure of tubal litigation first?
To prevent pregnancy where surgeon cuts or seals of the Fallopian tubes. As some of you might not be aware of the technical procedure of how the baby is born once the sperm is transferred to the Ovary, we will explain you the process so that you can have a clear idea of where this blockage is created and how it can affect your body.
A woman’s reproduction system includes the vagina, canal where sperm are deposited and babies emerge during delivery. Once the babies emerge, they are grown in the uterus. The eggs are transferred from ovaries to the uterus through the Fallopian tubes where the sperm is fertilized.
It is the best method for permanent birth control where either the release of sperm is controlled or the fertilization of eggs is controlled. Getting your tubes tied is a form of sterilization.
The decision of getting tubal ligation should be taken very carefully after all the research and report diagnosis. You should consult your doctor especially the one you can trust.
If possible, try to talk to people who have personal experience of getting tubes tied as they will give you a better idea of how it works. Though we have tried providing answers to all the questions in this article however still we would recommend feeling free to have a conversation with your friend about this.
Table of Contents
- Points to Be Discussed Before Getting Tubes Tied
- How Long It Takes to Heal From Tubal Ligation
- Intake of Foods Before And After Surgery:
- Risk Involved In Getting Tubes Tied
- Things to Remember After Tubal Ligation
- Cost of Tubal Ligation
- Things about Tubes Tied
- Discuss your hormonal changes and how it impacts your body.
- Talk about tubal ligation reversal that if it is reversible, how risky it would be.
- Is it safe to go for tubes tied to a C- section?
- Make sure you discuss all the health issues you had in the past or any genetic issues
- Tell your doctor about all the medication you have been taking especially the medicines for getting your blood thinner such as warfarin, aspirin.
- If you are suffering from sleep deprivation, make sure that you consult with the doctor s sleep deprivation has a deep connection with getting your tubes tied.
- Inform your doctor about your medication whether past or current to have a sound sleep and confirm if there is any risk involved if you continue with it.
- If doctor instructs to not to take any medication before surgery, do not take a risk as the results might be extremely Hazardous.
How Long It Takes to Heal From Tubal Ligation
Itakes around 8 to 10 days to recover from tubal litigation if it is done through laparoscopy however in case of mini-laparotomy it might take 10 to 15 days, hence you do not need to panic around as this is normal.
You should not have sex at least for a month or 45 days from the date of the ligation. Though there is the slight risk of becoming pregnant after tubal ligation which happens with 4 out of 1000 women as it is a body part and the body cells can grow and heal hence that might lead to tubes grow back together or new passage forms.
Like said before only a healthy body can go through the procedure of tubes tied, so you need to make sure:
- You have the strong immune system
- Your body is detoxicated: a balanced diet
- Intake of high protein diet.
Hence all these things can be achieved if you have a health care. Health care is a kind of document in the report format that your doctor maintains keeping your diet in place and the condition of body reports.
Ensure that you are not infected with any bacteria or virus and you can achieve this by strengthening your immune system as it triggers an inflammatory response which heals your disease wounds.
Protein source such as:
- Cottage cheese: it is rich in protein, vitamin and minerals like calcium, which are very important nutrients for good health. It contains sodium that is very helpful in maintaining your blood pressure levels.
- Fish: loaded with vitamin D, it is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids that make your brain and body healthy.
- Chicken: you really need to build good muscles while having such surgery and hence chicken is the best source of protein to increase muscles as part from protein, it has other several minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that help keep bones in good condition
- Tuna: it is good for heart health as it also has high levels of omega three fatty acids, which helps to reduce cholesterol in the arteries and blood vessels.
- Peanut butter: it lowers the risk of blood pressure, stroke and heart disease. It has healthy fats, magnesium that helps bones and muscles to grow. It is the rich source of vitamin E and acts as the antioxidant.
- Egg: It is very diffcult to find good source of Vitamin D and minerals such as copper and iron. Egg has two parts the inner part and the outer layer both have there own benefits in strenthening the metabolism. They are high protien diet that helps in reducing colestrol and are ric source of selenium.
- Soy milk: it has number of nutritional advantages and high prote
The fruits such as:
- Apple: the phytonutrients and antioxidants in apple may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease. It is rich in antioxidants and high fiber. It is a good diet for pregnant mothers too.
- Pomegranate: rich in vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties help you protect against disease.
- Black grape: they are considered to be the best immune system builder. They are also rich in sugar and organic acids, help to relieve constipation, indigestion and treating kidney.
- Berries: the berries contain ellagic acid and the great source of fiber that is helpful to build an mmune system.
- Cranberry: After tubal litigation there is high risk of infection and other disorers in body such as urinary infection, respiratory disorders etc which if not taken care of might forther lead to incurable issues such as cancer and heart disease. Hence, to reduce the infection and to prevent yourself from such disorders you can have cranberry juice twice a day.
- Red grape: it contains antioxidants known as polyphenols that are also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. One of these is resveratrol. It helps you fight diseases.
- Tomato: tomatoes are the dietary source of antioxidants lycopene with reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. They play an improttant role in fighting infection and cleaning your blood. They are considered to be a source of abundent vitamin C.
- Broccoli: It is a low calorie fibre food which ascts as a great source of Vitamin C wich helps in healing the damaged body itissues that has happened. Not only internaly it also helps in healing the wounds.
Remember, eating habits directly impacts your health as there could be blood loss during surgery and you will feel weakness hence it’s highly recommended to drink lots of water and have high fiber foods and drinks. Avoid excessive oil and candies and stay safe.
For more information contact your doctor
Different Ways of Getting Tubes Tied
A tiny incision is made in your belly button and another just above the pubic bone.
The carbon dioxide is injected which is harmless. The carbon dioxide is inserted with the help of a tube inserted into the upper incision that helps to inflate the abdominal cavity that further allows your surgeon to able to see and around the internal organs.
A lighted instrument that looks like injection called as laparoscope through one of the incisions that allow the doctor to produce images of the body organs and it helps understanding the internal structure which is inside the abdomen.
As we have two incisions, the other incision is used to pass surgical instruments to take a hold of Fallopian tube and then the doctor tries to block it by three ways: the first way is doctors can cut the tubes from the middle and tie both the ends. Another way is blocking where a tube is folded and then tied from the middle. Sealing is the third way of blocking where again the Fallopian tubes are cut and the two open edges are sealed. Once the fallopian tubes are blocked or sealed then the operation is almost completed.
Next the carbon dioxide that was introduced into your body is be released and finally, the incisions are closed with dissolving stitches.
2. Mini Laparotomy
This procedure has the other way of tubes tied. A small incision is made just above the pubic bone. Just with the help of that instrument that was inserted through the small incision. The doctor will grasp Fallopian tubes with forceps and then it is closed by cutting the following tubes and ting the two ends together. Same as it was done in Laparoscope procedure, the incision is closed with stitches. This method is often used just after childbirth.
One thing is common in both procedures, they happen on the same day and the Fallopian tubes are sealed by one way or the other, which means in both the cases it has to do with Fallopian tubes. No other organ is impacted by the surgery of tubal ligation. Once the procedure of tubal ligation is over, the next step is recovery.
If you had Laparoscopic tubal ligation you will be asked to go home the same day as it can be recovered as soon as it is completed, while if you had laparotomy or mini-laparotomy you might be asked to stay in hospital for few days to recover. Everyone is different, and some women may experience discomfort, dizziness, or spotting during and after getting tubes tied. These symptoms should go away shortly. If they don’t, contact your healthcare provider, as the tubes tied was not done effectively. Within 4 to 6 weeks, you should return for a follow-up visit to make sure that everything is okay.
Bipolar coagulation: grasping the Fallopian tube with forceps and an electrical current traveling through the forceps damages the tube. The actual area that is damaged is small.
4. Spring Clips and Band Rings:
In this ligation two types of clips are used
² A small clamp that shuts over a Fallopian tube for tubal ligation
² The second one that clamps down on the tube to keep it closed. A blockage is created that prevents eggs from traveling through.
Risk Involved In Getting Tubes Tied
- Risk of infection increases with the tube tied surgery.
- There might be accidental damage to other organs.
- There might be some side effects that lead to another health problem as all the body parts are linked to each other.
- To reduce the pain level, you are injected with anesthesia which might lead to Nausea, vomiting, Sleepiness, shivering and other adverse reactions.
- The other side effects such as uterine perforations or tears and prolonged pain in the pelvic area or abdomen which might further lead to pelvic infection.
- Swollen stomach
- Painful intercourse
- Shoulder pain
- Blood clots
- Hot flashes
- Night Sweats
- Anxiety and depression
- Decreased Libido
- Breast tenderness
- Weight gain
- Pain on one side of abdomen
- Abnormal mensuration period
After ligation, you will still be able to ovulate and have a period every single month. If you are getting your tubes tied for controlling your mensuration cycle, it’s not worth as you still have same procedure of periods. For some women, it has become heavier and the cramping lasts for three days.
- While getting your tubes tied in C-section, you are already not in your senses as you have been infected with anesthesia and numbed, hence if you feel that you don’t need any more kids after discussing with your partner, C section is considered to be the best time to get your tubes tied. It won’t take more than 15 to 25 minutes more to get your tubes tied, so you don’t have to prepare yourself again for another surgery. It is a best deal as you are already mentally prepared and on the bed.
- There might be few adverse anesthesia reactions which might be very serious and can damage your bladder or bowel which should be addressed to the doctor.
- You might feel feverish for some time after dizziness and in case if you feel cold for a long time and have vomit for 2 to 3 times a day then it’s time to rush to the doctor.
- Do you know 1 of 70 women may develop ovarian cancer, however, they still survive as the medical advancement has already found the solution. Cancer starts in your Fallopian tubes which are very close to ovaries and further starts spreading in the ovaries. In getting your tubes tied, Fallopian tubes are closed and hence reduces the risk of cancer.
- The tubal ligation takes away all the hassles and stress of birth control pills.
- Post tubal ligation syndrome is loss of libido, abnormal periods, weight gain, breast tenderness.
Cost of Tubal Ligation
The typical cost of tubal ligation ranges between $1500 to $7000 depending on the procedure and type of ligation you have opted for.
They have one time cost however it’s up to you if you wish to pay the follow-up session fees for the first time you get it at a discounted price or if you wish to change the expert or pay later that is fine. Further, the medical insurance is the must for the tubal ligation as the procedures also get covered.
The estimated cost will be paid by you and your insurance company as decided. It can be 30% by you and 70% by your insurance company or 40% by you and 60% by your insurance company, which depends upon your agreement and negotiations.
For various hospitals, the cost calculators are available on their website. you can get an estimate and then fix an appointment to know more about the procedure and exact cost.
We would say it’s your decision, which is very critical, so think about it several times before going ahead with it. Every woman has different body types and hence the reaction to any surgery impacts differently. Do not compare yourself with others if someone had such surgery and they look comfortable, that doesn’t means the same goes with you, you must rethink about it as the body type differs. Whatever decision you take for getting your tubes tied, you must be sure about it as you would never want to regret this decision.