Babies, especially newborns, are delicate beings; they require constant monitoring. But how can you ensure this happens even when not around your kid? Thanks to technology, parents can now check up on their babies from a distance. Basically, they do not need to walk to the rooms of their little ones after every few hours, thanks to the advent of baby monitors. Video baby monitors offer a calming peace of mind as they help ensure that your child is safe. These devices transmit live footage from where your baby is lying to wherever you are in the house, as long as you remain within the connection range. They are superior to the audio-only baby monitors that most parents have been using in the past. But how do you determine what is best for you considering the many options out there? Below are some of the best video baby monitors on the market today to help you make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table
- Best 10 Video Baby Monitor Reviews
- 1.Babysense Video Baby Monitor
- 2.Nannio Comfy Video Baby Monitor
- 3.Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor
- 4.VTech VM321 Safe&Sound Video Baby Monitor
- 5.Samsung BrightVIEW Baby Monitor
- 6.Lorex Video Sweet Peep Baby Monitor
- 7.Philips Avent SCD630 Digital Video Baby Monitor
- 8.Motorola MBP36XL 5″ Portable Video Baby Monitor
- 9.Project Nursery Video Baby Monitor
- 10.Motorola Smart 7 Portable Wi-Fi Video Baby Monitor
- Selecting the Best Baby Video Monitor
- What Do Other People Think?
- Our Top Pick of 2018’s Best Baby Video Monitor
|Product Name||Item Weight (In Pounds)||Product Dimensions (Inches)||Screen Display Size (Inches)|
|Babysense Video Baby Monitor||0.5375||8.7 x 5.9 x 3||2.4|
|Nannio Comfy Video Baby Monitor||2.15||4.8 x 3.6 x 1.8||3.5|
|Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor||2||19.3 x 13.4 x 6.5||3.5|
|VTech VM321 Safe&Sound Video Baby Monitor||1.95||11.1 x 9 x 3.6||2.8|
|Samsung BrightVIEW Baby Monitor||2.5||11.2 x 4.5 x 9.5||5|
|Lorex Video Sweet Peep Baby Monitor||1.85||9.6 x 9.1 x 4||2.4|
|Philips Avent SCD630 Digital Video Baby Monitor||1.4||4.2 x 8.7 x 7.3||3.5|
|Motorola MBP36XL 5″ Portable Video Baby Monitor||0.45||3.7 x 6.2 x 0.8||5|
|Project Nursery Video Baby Monitor||0.6||3.8 x 3.5 x 4.5||4.3|
|Motorola Smart 7 Portable Wi-Fi Video Baby Monitor||1.35||0.2 x 5.5 x 8||7|
Best 10 Video Baby Monitor Reviews
[amazon box=”B06W55L51Q” template=”vertical”]
This baby monitor does not connect to the internet. It is, therefore suitable for parents who worry about privacy issues surrounding WiFi-enabled cameras. The product offers great monitoring features at a reasonable price.
The monitor sports a 2.4″ LED screen that connects to its camera over an interference-free connection. You can use this device to get video coverage while standing up to 900 feet away from the camera. Although the manufacturer does not specify the battery life, we noted that the device stays on for 6 continuous hours. Compared to other monitors in the same price range, the battery used on this baby monitor is quite reliable. The Babysense Video baby Monitor boasts of several other features that include a two-way talk system, voice-activation mode, temperature monitoring, 2x zoom, and night vision.
- It has a well-designed web interface.
- Its night light function adjusts quickly.
- The monitor comes with an inbuilt battery. You do not have to go around shopping for a compatible battery.
- The picture quality is not the best. Nonetheless, it is good enough to help you see what your baby is doing.
[amazon box=”B077YL6Z3F” template=”vertical”]
This is a long range baby video monitor. It is a lifesaver for parents living in big houses. The Nannio Comfy Video Baby Monitor connects with the camera within a radius of 1,000 feet. It features a 3.5” colored screen that you can use to monitor your little one from his/her room. The monitor also has tilt, zoom, and pan capabilities. Its battery lasts for up to 10 hours.
This device has additional features such as night vision, two-way talk, an alarm, and a room temperature display. In fact, you can connect the monitor to additional cameras if you want to. The picture quality on this baby video monitor is impressive. We did not enjoy the night vision, but we appreciated the fact that it allowed us to monitor our baby in the dark, even though the footage was not crispy clear.
- This camera produces great picture quality during the day.
- The cord on the camera is long enough. You can place the camera a few meters from the power source.
- It has a good signal.
- The night vision needs to be manually configured from time to time.
[amazon box=”B00ECHYTBI” template=”vertical”]
If you are looking for a high-end baby monitor, you should check out the Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor. It is built with the latest technology as depicted by its high-quality videos and audios. When you buy this gadget, you will get a camera with an interchangeable lens design. The camera switches between lenses in a matter of seconds, allowing you to zoom in and out without losing image quality.
The two-way talk system on the monitor allows you to talk to your baby and hear the background noises in his/her room. This device has zoom, pan, and pan capabilities. The screen produces crisp images. Another great feature of the product is the temperature monitor function.
- It has a wide screen, which allows you to view a large area.
- The device is easy to set up. We did not need to read the manual to know how to connect the monitor to the camera.
- The battery takes about 7 hours to charge completely. This may be a little too long for the impatient users.
[amazon box=”B007NG5UGS” template=”vertical”]
Vtech is known for making good communication devices. That explains why this device has great video quality. The microphone on the camera offers great audio quality. In addition, the VTech M321 Safe & Sound Video Baby Monitor has an easy-to-access volume control at the front.
It is easy to setup this monitor, as you only need to position the camera in your preferred spot and power it on. We found this baby monitor to be ideal for those who want to use multiple cameras to monitor different rooms.
- It has crisp picture detail.
- The monitor features an easy to access volume panel.
- It connects with up to 4 cameras.
- The battery takes a short time to charge completely.
- The microphone picks up a lot of white noise.
[amazon box=”B018XZBVMY” template=”vertical”]
Samsung is a brand you can trust when it comes to privacy and security. The manufacturer must have used advanced tech on this monitoring devices because it has new-age features such as Voice Activated Mode (VOX), and standby mode for the battery. Other features include pre-programmed lullabies, infrared LEDs for night vision, two-way talk, and a 5″ screen.
The monitor stays remotely connected to the camera for up to 900 feet. You can use 4 cameras on this gadget. While using this product, we enjoyed the feed timer alerts and the HD audio quality. We could clearly hear when our child was laughing, talking, or crying.
- It offers a strong and secured RF signal.
- It has a responsive night vision. The lights sensors on the monitor detect the slightest change in lighting.
- The camera transmits clear videos.
- The on-screen touch control can be challenging to use at first. You may need a couple of days to master some, or all, of the functions.
[amazon box=”B00G5KTTY2″ template=”vertical”]
This video baby monitor connects to a pan, tilt and zoom camera. It allows you to follow your child’s movement. The Lorex Video Sweet Peep Baby Monitor plays classic lullabies to help you put your little one to sleep. It accommodates up to 4 cameras at once. Additionally, it has a 2.4 LCD display.
Other features of the monitor include a clear night vision and a two-way talk system. The battery powers the device for up to 10 hrs.
- It has good sound quality.
- The monitor’s default video quality is decent. You can tweak the settings to get high-quality videos.
- The night vision function works perfectly.
- The wireless range is small. We would not recommend using this baby video monitor in a big house.
[amazon box=”B01EP7M0WE” template=”vertical”]
Built with FHHS technology, this device offers a secure wireless connection to the camera. It features a 3.5-inch display that allows a user to monitor whatever their child is doing. The baby video monitor has allowances at the back that you can use to mount the gadget on the wall.
Like the majority of monitors on this list, the Philips Avent SCD630 Digital Video Baby Monitor has the automatic IR night vision function. Other features include a temperature monitoring, voice activation monitoring, a night light, talkback, and lullabies.
- It shows accurate temperature readings.
- The connection signal is reliable. It works fine even when there are a couple of walls separating you from where your child is.
- It has an attractive and intuitive design.
- The talkback function is responsive.
- The user manual does not mention that you can connect more cameras to the monitor. However, it was easy for us to figure that out.
[amazon box=”B01N7KEY4P” template=”vertical”]
This video baby monitor has several great features. If you want to get the best view of your child, this is the best device for you. The camera has a pan, tilt or zoom function. The Motorola MBP36XL 5″ Portable Video Baby Monitor comes with a button that you can press to play lullabies for your baby. In addition, this gadget is designed in a manner that allows it to stand stably on flat surfaces.
This is a perfect baby monitor to use when working outdoors because it has a 1,000-foot range. The batteries last for 3 hours. Therefore, you do not need to keep the monitor plugged into a power source every time you need to use it. In case of power outage, you will still be able to see what your child is doing in their room. We connected 4 cameras to this monitor and it worked perfectly. The video quality, however, appeared to be somewhat distorted.
- The camera generates neat pictures. We could zoom in and clearly see our daughter’s chest rising and falling.
- This monitor’s screen is big enough to help you see your child and anything across her/his room.
- It is easy to set-up and use. It took us a few minutes to master the basic functions of the device, even though we had to refer to the user guide a few times.
- The monitor produces a loud beep that can easily distract your child’s sleep. You will have to keep it away from where your kid is sleeping.
[amazon box=”B01H0RB5H2″ template=”vertical”]
This product boasts of a 4.3″ LCD screen. It uses batteries that last for up to 16 hours. It offers a secure 2.4 GHZ digital transmission within a range of 800 feet. Its camera features the pan/tilt/zoom function that is set to improve your monitoring experience. Other features on this baby monitor include sound detection alerts, room temperature sensors, and two-way communication.
While looking for the best baby video monitor, this one caught our attention because of its unique design. The control buttons are strategically positioned on one side of the screen’s frame.
- The monitor is easy to carry because of how light it is. You can carry it around the house as you engage in other activities.
- Its display is large enough, which makes it easy to view your baby in full.
- The cameras can be controlled remotely.
- It has good quality vision.
- The video feed tends to cut off intermittently. You have to be inside your house to get high-quality footage.
[amazon box=”B01K3KTUJI” template=”vertical”]
The crystal-clear picture you get from this monitor is something you would not want to miss. It comes with a camera that can stand steadily on flat surfaces. You can use the pan, tilt and zoom feature to turn the camera around. This baby video monitor has the largest screen of all the monitors herein. The 7″ LED screen offers touch functionality. You can tap on the screen to adjust various settings on the monitor.
The Motorola Smart 7 Portable Wi-Fi Video Baby Monitor connects to a rechargeable camera. This quality makes the camera portable, as you do not have to connect to a power source directly for it to work. This is among the best baby video monitors we have ever tested. We found it to have several useful features. It was easy to connect this device to our Smart Nursery humidifier. In addition, we realized that the monitor is compatible with most WiFi-enabled devices around the house.
- It offers notifications on compatible devices. As long as you have an active smart nursery device, this device will find it and notify you on its large screen.
- The monitor shows crisp images.
- Its large screen makes it comfortable to use.
- It took us some time to connect the camera to an app on our smartphone.
Selecting the Best Baby Video Monitor
Your baby’s safety comes first and you do not want to gable with getting the right baby monitor. Be sure to get the product that will guarantee value for your money. The following are some tips you can use when picking out baby video monitors.
Find out the type of transmission used on the product you want to buy. Nowadays, video baby monitors use digital technology, which offers interference-free transmission and safer connections. However, not all gadgets that use digital transmission are good for you and your baby. Some Wi-Fi baby video monitors, for example, are open to interference. Go for devices that use digital frequency hop technology as they provide strong signals that are difficult to intercept.
- Size matters
When looking for a video baby monitor to purchase, expect to find products of all sizes and shapes. Screen sizes vary from 1.5″ to 7″. The most popular models come with 3.5″ screens. You do not need a huge screen. Find a screen that is not too wide but large enough to view your baby without much strain.
Medium size screens are the most preferred because they are easy to carry. If you want a long range baby video monitor you can move with easily, consider buying a monitor with a belt clip. The clip will allow you to attach the device to your pocket, belt, or waistband.
- Important features
Two-way back talk and night are some of the features that most parents look for in a video baby monitor. Most manufacturers these days produce baby monitors that have automatic night vision. The in-built infrared lights on the camera help you see your baby in poorly lit rooms.
The two-way back talk feature allows you to talk to your baby from a different room. Your baby can hear you through the speaker on the camera. This feature will come in handy if you are cleaning up your yard, doing the dishes, or any other kind of house chore.
When looking for a gadget that will help you monitor more than one room, get a model that supports multiple cameras. There are baby video monitors with two cameras, and some even allow you to connect up to four cameras.
Even though there are plenty of other useful features to consider, we recommend that you focus more on these two important features. The best video baby monitors have lullabies, temperature sensors, and sound alert functions. They are also Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled to help you view your baby remotely. The video below shows the best video baby monitors in 2018.
What Do Other People Think?
From our interactions with other parents, we realized that most of them have tried some of the products discussed in this article. One parent told us about how her baby video monitor restored her hope in technology. She liked the night vision feature on the Babysense Video Baby Monitor because it allowed her to see her 3-month daughter in the dark.
Two of our neighbors recommended the Philips Avent SCD630 Digital Video Baby Monitor to us. They asserted that the display on the device was everything a parent would ever want in a video baby monitor. The couple also noted that the screen was neither too big nor too small. It was the perfect size for them because they could easily carry the monitor around their house.
The majority of buyers have expressed a little bit of disappointment in the connection range of these products. They are of the opinion that manufacturers should come with products that allow them to monitor their kids from more than 1,500 feet. Most reviewers and users seem to share the same opinion.
Some parents and caregivers have praised the talkback feature. They like it because it allows them to engage with their kids without walking to where they are sleeping. One caregiver, in particular, said that she was happy with her video monitor because she could communicate with her ailing grandmother from any room in her house, thanks to the two-way talk feature.
Although most buyers like most of the features in these monitors, they seem to have a bittersweet relationship with the pre-installed lullabies. Some of them feel that the lullabies are loud, while others seem to love the lullabies.
Our Top Pick of 2018’s Best Baby Video Monitor
It is not always that you to get a Wi-Fi baby video monitor that has several features working in harmony with each other. At a great price, however, you can get the Infant optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor and enjoy this rare combination. The monitor streams videos in real-time. At no point did we experience lag when using this monitor to look at what our baby was doing in her crib.
We decided to test the connection between the camera and the monitor, and we were impressed by the findings. Unlike the cheap video baby monitor we owned before, the signal on this device remained stable even when we were in our backyard. We were still able to get clear footage a few feet outside its normal connection range.
The night vision function allowed us to let our baby sleep with the lights deemed because we could still see her clearly. We have alarms on our clocks and phones, but we still found the alarm on the monitor to be quite useful. The icing on the cake is the temperature monitor function. If you kid loses sleep when their room gets hot. This monitor helped you determine when to switch on the AC to maintain normal room temperatures in their bedroom.