A couple of years ago, a child might have been okay with using mom’s or dad’s phones only every once in a while, but not today. Definitely not. These days, kids use phones for a lot more, and thus, spend more time with them. As a matter of fact, children these days are becoming even more tech savvy than some of us adults. So, we can’t really get away with getting them just any phone anymore. More effort has to be put into getting the best smartphone for kids. One that is not too heavy, not too luxurious, not too complicated, fancy enough, and has all the functions appealing to them, basically.
Now, you might be thinking getting the right cell phones for kids is already looking like hard work. Well, if it ever was, all the hard work has been done by us. Read on to see how to choose the best phone for kids.
To begin, here’s a quick look at 5 of the best smartphones for kids and what they have to offer.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Smartphones Quick Comparison Table
- 6 Best Smartphone For Kids Detailed Reviews
- What Is The Best Smartphone For Kids
- Other People’s Opinions
- Our Favorite Smartphone
5 Best Smartphones Quick Comparison Table
|Dimension||Weight||Water resistance||Operating System||Battery||Camera|
|Apple iPhone SE||2.3 x 0.3 x 4.9 inches||14.4 ounces||No||iOS||Non-removable; 1560 – 1624 milliampere hour||Dual camera|
|Samsung Galaxy A3||5.1 x 0.3 x 2.6 inches||3.84 ounces||Yes||Android||Non-removable; 1624 milliampere hour||Dual camera|
|Motorola Moto G6||2.8 x 0.3 x 6 inches||5.8 ounces||No IP-rated water resistance.||Android||Removable; 3000 milliampere hour||Dual rear camera, with front camera.|
|BLU Grand M2||5.70 x 0.37 x 2.84 inches||12 ounces||No||Android||Non-removable; 2600 milliampere hours.||Dual camera.|
|LG Stylo 3||6.1 x 0.3 x 3.1 inches||5.3 ounces||No||Android||Removable; 3200 milliampere hours.||Dual camera.|
6 Best Smartphone For Kids Detailed Reviews
[amazon box=”B071W3DDM7″ template=”vertical”]
When it comes to smartphones, only few devices suit the common phrase “small but mighty” as well as the Apple iPhone SE does. Apple called it the most powerful 4-inch phone ever, and hey, it just could be. Coming with the A9 – a 64-bit SoC –, the Apple iPhone SE offers unbelievable speed and responsiveness. Made with bead-blasted aluminum, this phone has a really sleek design and was crafted to sit just well in your palm. Your kid will thank you for this one.
This phone comes with console-class graphics performance. Because of this, their favorite apps and games are even more immersive and better functioning. In addition to that, the Apple iPhone SE comes with a really sharp 12 mega-pixel rear camera with an f/2.2 aperture. This captures great photos and 4K videos. However, the front camera isn’t too flattering; it can only boast of a pretty disappointing 1.2 mega-pixels.
The Apple iPhone SE comes with a touch ID which makes unlocking your phone extra easy. You know, unlike passwords, it’s impossible to forget your thumbprint, lol.
- Sharp 12 megapixels back camera.
- Sleek and portable.
- Fingerprint sensor (touch ID). Enables you unlock your phone without any hassle.
- Console-class graphics performance which makes games and apps function even better.
- With a 64-bit desktop-class architecture, the A9 chip offers great speed and really fast responsiveness.
- The special “Hey Siri” feature allows you easy access to the internet and helps you get information just by voice recognition. Kids would love it!
- Coming in silver, gray, gold, and rose gold, the Apple iPhone SE has different options of sleek, fancy, and classy looks.
- The Apple brand is generally known to be less likely to get a virus.
- The GPS app is well functioning and this is really good for when you want to track your child’s movements.
- 2 gigabyte RAM which means fast processing and no lagging.
- Memory is not expandable as there isn’t any space for external memory.
- Battery is non-removable. This could be a problem for some people.
- 1624 milliampere hour battery is also not a very impressive battery capacity.
- At 1.2 mega-pixels, the front camera is pretty disappointing and of low quality.
[amazon box=”B00T318JWI” template=”vertical”]
With this phone, Samsung really proved that they do care about the needs of the kids and teenagers. Made with light metal, the Samsung Galaxy A3 boats of a sleek, yet luxurious and classy design. And it gets even better.
We all know that selfies are one of the biggest reasons a kid wants a smartphone. And who does selfies better than the Samsung Galaxy A3? Pictures can be taken with your palm, and wait for it, voice! Yes, voice. So, the struggle of getting your hand out the way of that selfie is solved. Do selfies even get better than this? Well, apparently, they do. The Samsung Galaxy A3 has a Wide Selfie function which allows you merge 3 pictures taken from left, right, and center, into one group selfie. As if all that isn’t enough, this phone comes with an auto-editing feature. Also, its selfies have ranges of a whopping 120 degrees and 110 degrees (in landscape and portrait modes, respectively). You can literally get the entire classroom in one selfie with this.
However, the Samsung Galaxy A3 is not all rosy. It comes with a pretty disappointing 1900 milliampere hour non-removable battery. And we felt Samsung could have done better than the 1 gigabyte RAM. Especially for a phone that can do so much and access quite a lot of apps. Well, it compensates for that with its 16-gigabyte internal storage, which is expandable to up to 64 gigabytes. So, you literally never run out of space.
- This phone comes with 16-gigabyte storage and is further expandable to 64 gigabytes.
- Amazing 5 mega-pixel selfie camera with its unique Wide Selfie feature which allows you take panorama-like selfies.
- When it comes to sound, the Samsung Galaxy A3 is great, too. It comes with an active noise cancellation function.
- With a Corning Gorilla Glass 4, protection of the phone’s screen is pretty guaranteed.
- Also, the protection its metal body and aluminum frame provide this phone is just great for kids. Cause, whether you like it or not, they will drop it a few times.
- Image and voice detection.
- With a 1 gigabyte RAM and a lot of functions, this phone might lag a couple of times.
- 1900 milliampere hours is not good news for a battery of a phone that does quite a lot.
[amazon box=”B079Z792J7″ template=”vertical”]
If your child is one who really loves his games and apps (which is pretty much the majority of them, isn’t it?), then the Motorola Moto G6 might just be what you are looking for. With a mind blowing 3-gigabyte RAM, you are guaranteed really fast processing and no lags. It also comes with a 1.8 gigahertz Octa-core processor, and we can see your mind being blown away by this.
It has a 5.7-inch, full HD+ Max Vision display, and an 18:9 aspect ratio. So, you know this phone offers a lot when it comes to visuals. This phone also has an internal storage space of 32 gigabytes and is expandable to up to 128 gigabytes; feels like limitless space. There’s more. The camera is pretty badass. It has a dual rear camera – 12 and 5 mega-pixels – and an amazing 8 mega pixel front camera which has an LED flash for wide angle selfies. Picture perfect, perhaps?
The Motorola Moto G6 comes with a pretty impressive 3000 milliampere hours Lithium ion battery. It also comes with a front glass (Gorilla Glass 3) and an aluminum frame which all offer protection in case your child drops it. It comes in black, deep indigo, silver, and blush, all really cool colors.
- 3 gigabytes RAM means you won’t have problems with the phone lagging.
- This phone boasts of a really sharp responsiveness. It has an outstanding 1.8 gigahertz octa-core processor.
- Pictures will always come out really good as the phone has two rear cameras – 12 megapixels and 5 mega-pixels. And an 8 mega-pixel front camera with an uncommon LED flash.
- The 3000 milliampere hours, fast charge battery, makes sure you never have problems of the phone shutting down as a result of low battery.
- The Motorola Moto G6 has the Amazon Alexa feature. This uses simple voice recognition for commands such as playing music.
- There are also other pre-installed Amazon apps on this phone; the Amazon Widget, Amazon Shopping. As a prime member, you have access to movies and tv shows, music, photos, and lots more. This is great for children, cause the content on this is easier to keep track of than content on television.
- Sound is great and the phone comes with a dedicated mic and active noise cancellation.
- The fingerprint reader is made of plastic, so it scratches pretty easily.
- The glass at the back of the phone makes the phone pretty slippery, and for kids, might be prone to a lot of falling, and maybe breaking.
- Alexa isn’t compatible with SiriusXM on this device.
- Also, your child might not like that the power and volume buttons were switched, lol. That is, unlike the usual power button below the volume button, this phone has it the other way around.
[amazon box=”B07K3Z2WH5″ template=”vertical”]
The BLU Grand M2 comes in a cool aluminum alloy body design, and a metal battery cover, together with a curved glass display. This phone comes with a MediaTek 6580 chipset which allows the 1.3 gigahertz quad core processor conserve power and reduce noise when it is under light load. It also possesses the Mali-400 GPU which offers enhanced visual quality, so that movies and games on this phone are truly high definition.
Furthermore, the BLU Grand M2 has a storage space of 16 gigabytes, and this is expandable to 64 gigabytes with MicroSD card. It has a RAM of 1 gigabyte, which is not really impressive. Pictures on this phone always come out pretty good, though. And considering you’re getting this for your 21st century kid, this is something you might want to pay a little more attention to. There is a 5 mega-pixel selfie camera. This also comes with a flash and so makes sure that the pictures come out bright and sharp regardless of the lighting conditions. Rear camera is 8 mega-pixels, which is only just decent for a rear camera. Also, the non-removable Li-Po 2600 milliampere hours battery is pretty impressive.
- Good battery life. Kids probably use phones a lot more than we do, so they need phones that do not always die on them. And the BLU Grand M2, with a 2600 milliampere hours battery, offers them just that.
- Good selfie camera. Whether it is for Snapchat, or Instagram, or just to play around, children really love their selfies. And so, it’s only fair that you get them phones that offer them good selfie quality. 5 mega-pixel front camera with an LED flash offers pretty good quality.
- Kids smart phonesshould be pretty easy to use, don’t you think? The BLU Grand M2 is just as user friendly as they come. Easy to navigate, easy to operate, easy to love.
- The best phones for kids are ones that have enough space. More than enough, even. There has to be space enough for their games, movies, cartoons, music, and all other things that make them happy. And, with a 16-gigabyte internal memory, which is further expandable to 64 gigabytes, the BLU Grand M2 addresses that need just nicely.
- Visual quality impacts greatly on gaming experience. With the Mali-400 GPU feature, this phone offers high visual quality.
- Comes with a factory unlocked hybrid dual sim smartphone. Cool, isn’t it?
- It is not waterproof which is bad news since this is supposed to be a smartphone for kids.
- For a phone in this time and age, it is pretty weird that it doesn’t come with a fingerprint censor.
- This phone has no secondary display. Not good at all.
- Although, this phone has a pretty impressive 2600 milliampere hours battery, it does not have the fast charge technology. So, you might have to stay a while before it gets to full charge.
- With a 1 gigabyte RAM, this smart phone might be prone to lagging at some point of use which can be really frustrating.
[amazon box=”B06Y6J869C” template=”vertical”]
This phone is largely synonymous with speed. With an Octa-core 1.4 gigahertz Cortex-A53, and a 2-gigabyte RAM, you can very easily do a lot on your phone at the same time, and with amazing speed, too. The LG Stylo 3 comes with a really impressive 3200 milliampere hours, Lithium ion, battery, and you sure know what this means; a much longer serving battery, of course.
Now, storage space, as we know, is very important, especially for kids. Best believe they will love this. The LG Stylo 3 comes with a 16-gigabyte internal storage space, and even better, it is expandable by microSD card to as much as 256 gigabytes. Isn’t that just amazing?
You see, on paper, the camera of this phone is badass! 13 megapixels rear camera with LED flash, and 5 mega-pixels selfie camera also with LED flash. This is really excellent camera quality, right? Well, apparently, wrong! The camera doesn’t live up to its numbers, and we think LG could have done better than this.
The LG Stylo 3 also offers 1080 x 1920 pixels resolution, and a 16:9 ratio (approximately 386 ppi density). In quick summary, all these numbers mean that the visual quality of the phone is really sharp. Great for videos, games, and the general interface.
- There’s nothing like a phone that can do so much and do them so quickly, too. The LG Stylo 3 is that phone. Its Octa-core processor and 2 gigabytes RAM enables you to operate at lightning speed. And for the kids, using those gaming apps, social media apps, messaging apps, and all other apps, they surely need a phone like the LG Stylo 3 that won’t crack under all that pressure.
- Talking about all that pressure, they will also need a battery that can withhold all of the pressure, and yet again, the LG Stylo 3 stands tall. Pretty tall at the 3200 milliampere hours, Lithium ion, removable battery. With this, you won’t have to always carry your charger everywhere you go. You can charge only when it is convenient for you. Also, in case you have problems with your battery, it is removable, and therefore, easily replaceable.
- Still on the matter of withstanding pressure, another feature that needs to pass this test is the storage space, and yet again, the LG Stylo 3 does not fall short. 16 gigabytes of internal storage space, still expandable to up to 256 gigabytes via microSD card. It is pretty obvious that this phone has enough space for whatever application, picture, video, music, your kid might want to get.
- The LG Stylo 3 comes with a stylus pen, which apart from its basic function of inputting commands, could be fun for kids to play around on their phone with.
- The camera isn’t all that. And it’s even worse because looking at the camera specifications – 13 mega-pixels rear camera with an LED flash, and 5 mega-pixels front camera with an LED flash, also, one would have excepted photos of really high quality. But well, that is not exactly the case.
[amazon box=”B07GL4D312″ template=”vertical”]
This article would be incomplete if the UMDIGI Z2 Pro didn’t feature. Not a very popular brand, yes. But this phone is a beast! Now, where do we start? Battery. 3550 milliampere hours, with fast cable charging 5/9V-2A, 12V – 1.5A, total out-put 15W. And fast wireless charging 5/9V-2A, 12V – 1.5A, total out-put 15W. Well, all of these simply mean that the battery of this phone could go a really long time without being charged, depending on how frequently you use the phone. And when you charge, it takes only a short time to get full. Isn’t that just amazing? It gets better!
The UMDIGI Z2 Pro comes with a mind blowing 128 gigabytes of internal storage space and still further supports expandable storage up to, wait for it, 256 gigabytes. Like that isn’t enough, this phone has an amazing 6 gigabytes of RAM. Wow! The processor gets even better. MTK, Helio P60, 4x Cortex-A73, 2.0 gigahertz, and 4x Cortex-A53, 2.0 gigahertz. If you do not know what this means, well, here it is in plain and simple terms; you have limitless space and a flash of a processor (speaking of speed). Wow, right?
Now, to another pretty important feature for the kids; camera and video. Yet again, the UMIDIGI Z2 pro blows our minds. This phone has both front and back dual cameras. So, that’s more like dual, dual cameras, lol. The rear cameras boast of a 16-megapixel primary camera and an 8-megapixel secondary camera. And more, they have a 6-element lens, S5K2P7, F/1.7 aperture. With a further dual LED flashLow light enhancement. The front cameras boast of a 16-megapixel primary camera and an 8-megapixel secondary camera. Both have a 5-element lens, IMX371, F/2.0 aperture. And, just in case you didn’t know, these are amazing numbers for a selfie camera. So, yet again, wow, UMIDIGI!
- The UMIDIGI Z2 Pro doesn’t just offer fast charging technology, it further offers wireless fast charge technology.
- The camera is amazing. With its resolution at 1080 x 2246 pixels, a picture taken with the UMIDIGI Z2 Pro will have you feeling like you are looking at a real-life image.
- It also has a special AI Processing Unit Multi-core, which makes image capturing easier and better.
- Offers panorama, burst mode, face recognition, and real-time filters to keep pictures prettier and more interesting.
- The UMIDIGI Z2 Pro has a face ID unlock and fingerprint sensor. Two things you can never forget or leave behind.
- Phone calls do not interrupt your phone activities. So, if you are playing a game, and a call comes in, you get to choose which is more important to you, lol.
- Large enough storage space for all the games and apps your child can think of getting. Fast enough processor that ensures they can multi-task very efficiently.
- Having the MTK Helio p23 processor, Octa-core 2.0 gigahertz CPU, the UMIDIGI offers optimum gaming and video performances. It also reduces power consumption by 25%.
- This phone has a well-functioning GPS which makes it easier for you to track where your child is at any time.
- The UMIDIGI Z2 Pro, sadly, cannot count as one of the Verizon phones for kids. While this phone is compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile, it is, however, not compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint.
What Is The Best Smartphone For Kids
Well, essentially, the best smartphones for kids are those that have the basic features that attend to the needs of kids. They could be luxury smartphones or just emergency cell phones for kids. Whichever is the case, here are some of the basic questions you should ask.
Does it have a good processor?
A good processor is really important. This is what determines how smooth the games and the videos on the phone will be. So, it is essential that you go for one with a really good processor. The better the processor, the more smoothly the games and other applications on the phone will run.
Does it have a good resolution?
The resolution is the total number of pixels in a camera sensor. So, with higher resolution, comes more pixels, and generally, this means the device can now capture more visual detail. Definitely, children in this age want to take good pictures of themselves and everything else. So, the larger the number of this resolution, the better the quality of the photos and videos the phone will produce.
Does it have enough space?
Space is really important. Kids like to hoard stuff. Pictures, movies, videos, games, applications, all that stuff. So, they definitely will like space enough to take both the really important and not very important stuff. Indulge them, lol.
Does it have a well-functioning GPS?
This is also pretty important. They are kids and eyes still need to be on them. And yes, you cannot always be with them, but their phones can. So, all you need to do is enable the GPS tracker and keep your digital eyes on them.
Does it look good?
You might not be really concerned about how a phone looks. But they are kids, and best believe, how that phone looks is more important to them than many features you might consider for yourself. So, just as you look out for an optimal-functioning phone, also look out for a fancy one, too. A little bit of color might do the trick.
Kids are smart, yes. But this should be fun for them. So, they shouldn’t have to spend most of their time figuring out how it works. Using smart phones should be just as easy as using watch phones for kids.
Other People’s Opinions
A lot of people go for the Apple iPhone SE, mainly because the Apple brand is one of the biggest and most trusted phone brands in the country. Anyway, people seem to more often get this for pre-teens and older kids.
The LG Stylo 3 seems to be more commonly gotten for the younger kids. It is fancy, lightweight, and quite very easy to use. So, you can see why.
Our Favorite Smartphone
If you haven’t already noticed, our favorite is the UMIDIGI Z2 Pro. Everything about it is just amazing. From the camera, to the storage space, to the processor, to its sleek attractiveness. This phone really won our hearts, and it just might win yours, too. However, the ultimate choice is yours, still.