Breastfeeding could be such a pleasant experience between the mother and her newborn baby. Experts regard it as bonding time between a new mom and her child. Breastfeeding your young one round the clock could be very tasking and enjoyable at the same time. However, you need some equipment like the manual breast pump to make it a smooth and successful experience for both the mother and her young one.
In this review, we will analyze the 10 best manual breast pumps every new mom should have to ensure that adequate nourishment is given to the newborn baby regularly at the proper time. Moreover, if you are preparing for an outing or a trip, going with one of the best manual breast pumps for traveling will save some embarrassing moments for you because your child will always cry out, as he demands breastmilk. Therefore, pumping the breastmilk using this device will help you to enjoy peace, rest, and pleasure while the child is being taken care of.
You can check the comparison table below to know the best manual breast pump to use while breastfeeding and even the best manual breast pump for everyday use.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Manual Breast Pump Reviews for Expressing Milk
- 1. Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump
- 2. Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- 3. Manual Breastmilk Pump with Lid (2018 FDA Certified) BPA Free Silicone Breast Milk Catcher
- 4. Spectra Baby USA – S2 Plus Premier Electric Breast Pump, Double/Single, Hospital Grade
- 5. Hakaa Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pump Milk Pump 100% Food Grade Silicone BPA PVC Phthalate Free
- 6. NUK Expressive Manual Breast Pump
- 7. Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Breast Pump
- 8. Manual Breast Pump with Lid for Breastfeeding using 100% Food Grade, BPA free Breastpump
- 9. Silicone Breastfeeding Pump Manual Breast Pumps Milk Pump Suction with Protective Lid 100%
- 10. Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump with Ergonomic Handle, Stimulation and Expression Modes, Portable
- How to Choose the Best Manual Breast Pump
- The Warranty Information
- Having a Double-Pumping Mechanism
- The 2- Phase Suction Settings
- Source of Power (Adapter or Batteries)
- Check for Insulated Storage Cubicles
- What is the Weight of the Breast Pump?
- Programmable Memory and LCD Panel
- Microfiber Carrying Case
- Give Your Baby a Satisfying Feed with a Manual Breast Pump
5 Best Manual Breast Pump Reviews for Expressing Milk
[amazon box=”B009YSYCZS” template=”horizontal”]
Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump is a plastic BPA free device with soft massage cushion to stimulate the flow of breastmilk. It is a compact and lightweight design enabling you to have a more comfortable pumping position because when you are relaxed and at ease, your breastmilk will flow out more naturally.
The device is comfortable to use and clean. Most importantly, with your Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump, you can download uGrow app that can help you manage and maintain your healthy breastfeeding routines, get professional information, and even monitor your baby’s feeds accordingly.
- It comes with a natural baby bottle.
- The pump has a wide breast-shaped nipple making it simpler to blend breastfeeding and bottle-feeding.
- You can easily download the uGrow app to help you get useful tips on the best ways of handling breastfeeding issues.
- It is compatible with other breastmilk storage containers, natural, and standard bottles from the staples of Philips Avent.
- With this pumping device, you can maintain a more comfortable position while expressing your breastmilk.
What we like about this manual breast pump is that you can download the uGrow app necessary to give you professional advice on how to monitor and manage your child’s healthy feeding routines and you can maintain a relaxed and comfortable position while expressing the breastmilk.
- This manual breast pump is compact, lightweight, and portable.
- Has a soft-textured massage cushion suitable for stimulating the flow of breastmilk.
- It is BPA free and other chemicals that may be harmful to the mother and child especially.
- Easy to use and clean.
- The target gender for this unique design is unisex.
- No batteries are required to power this device.
- The handle is ergonomically designed and easy to use without exerting much pressure.
This single breast pump is designed exclusively for new moms with busy schedules but wants to ensure their babies will continue enjoying an uninterrupted supply of real breastmilk whenever they need it. Additionally, it can be used during expeditions, camping, and other recreational moments intended for the mother to relax, sleep or get refreshed. Philips Avent is ideal for unisex use, easy to clean, user-friendly, and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B0006HBS1M” template=”horizontal”]
This manual breast pump applies the 2-phase expression technology comprising of stimulation phase and expression phase to ensure babies are well-fed. The stimulation phase is the process whereby the baby sucks the breast quickly and lightly first to activate the mammary glands and get the milk flowing. Then, the expression phase is when the ‘let-down’ or ‘milk flow’ starts. Now, the child continues sucking the juice deeply, slowly, and swallowing faster until he reaches satisfaction.
The packaging of Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump comes with one cap, two (5 oz.) bottles with lids, one manual pump, two membranes, one 24 mm PersonalFit breastshield (medium sized), and one bottle stand.
- The material used in making the pump is free from lead.
- The package comes with two spare membranes.
- It functions using a 2-phase expression technology.
One of the useful features, why we like this manual breast pump, is due to its 2-phase expression technology involving the stimulation phase and expression phase respectively.
- Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is lightweight and portable.
- It is ideal for occasional use, especially when you want to be away from the baby in a short while.
- Portable and regarded as an on-the-go pump.
- The product uses no batteries.
- You can regulate the pressure, and it is easy to clean.
- It usually has a design flaw, which may be fixed in hardware stores.
- Medela Harmony breast pump loses suction very fast.
- The handle often comes off causing disorganization and discomfort.
- During suction, the top usually falls.
This manual pump is aimed at lactating moms who usually engage in trips and travels because it is an on-the-go pump, which you can use anywhere to cause a ‘let-down’ and feed your baby to satisfaction. You can quickly clean it after use to prevent the growth of bacteria and other molds. This product is user-friendly and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B071GVWSB8″ template=”horizontal”]
Manual Breastmilk Pump with Lid is a lightweight, compact, and portable breast pump suitable for collecting storage milk and it will help you to catch any let-down from the other breast while you breastfeed your kid. Most nursing moms are going for short trips usually take alongside this great pump to enjoy a comfortable outdoors experience with their young ones. It is fast and convenient to use with a bonus pump (Zenda Naturals manual pump and lid), which will be an excellent companion for you. A high-quality product made with one hundred percent BPA free food grade Silicone making it safe for moms and babies alike.
- It provides an extra milk bag, and you don’t have to wake up at midnight to pump your breast.
- An easy way to collect milk for storage while you breastfeed your child at the other breast.
- Manual Breastmilk Pump is made with 100% BPA free food grade Silicone
What we like about this breast pump is that it provides one of the easiest ways of collecting breastmilk for storage and you don’t have to do midnight breastmilk pumping.
- You do not have to assemble the pump before using it (already constructed).
- The pump is fast and easy to use.
- It is lightweight, compact, and portable to be used as a traveling companion.
- It is difficult to hold this breast pump and collect milk while nursing or breastfeeding.
- The pump is not suitable for suctioning breastmilk because it is not strong enough.
Manual Breastmilk Pump with Lid is aimed at newborns and their moms who do not want to be wasting breastmilk from one breast while nursing at the other one. It is comfortable to use and clean, worth buying, and user-friendly.
[amazon box=”B00OZV979K” template=”horizontal”]
This manual breast pump has a closed pumping system that prevents the flow of air between expressed milk and the tubing of the pump. Do you know that this process is useful in protecting the baby and even breastmilk from bacteria and molds? Spectra Baby S2 comes with two Spectra Wide Neck Bottle, two Spectra Duckbill valve, two Spectra Backflow Protector, four Flange (2 – 24 mm and 2 – 28 mm), two Spectra Tubing, Detachable Power Cord Prong, and 12 Volt Ac Power Adapter.
Moreover, Spectra S2 has customizable settings enabling each mom to adjust the configurations of their pumps to their satisfaction. It uses one Lithium metal batteries and is made with BPA free materials to enhance the safety of the child accordingly.
- The Spectra S2 has adjustable settings, and each mom can customize her pump according to her flow.
- The pump has a closed system ideal for protecting the breastmilk and baby from viruses, molds, and bacteria.
- The storage containers are BPA and DEHP free.
- A group of registered nurses and moms alike produce the product.
What we like about this product are its adjustable settings that enable the mothers to regulate the suction during expression and letdown modes respectively. Additionally, a group of registered nurses and breastfeeding mamas intending to provide a high-quality pump for babies and their moms made Spectra S2 Breast Pump.
- Spectra S2 uses one Lithium metal battery.
- It is flexible and has a touch button.
- The pump has digital regulation mechanism enabling you to customize the speed and pressure to your advantage.
- The closed system promotes motor performance.
- The battery set up is not done correctly.
- The milk supply or suction may reduce after some days.
This highly effective and efficient pump is made by registered nurses and breastfeeding mothers to provide a reliable breast pump for moms and their babies, although the target gender is not specified. Each mother can maintain a convenient pressure suitable for her lactation experience. Spectra S2 is worth buying and user-friendly. You can try it today.
5. Hakaa Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pump Milk Pump 100% Food Grade Silicone BPA PVC Phthalate Free
[amazon box=”B01F8W7CF0″ template=”horizontal”]
Hakaa Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pump Milk Pump is made with one hundred percent Silicone food grade and free from Phthalate, BPA, and PVC. The pump is compatible with all Hakaa wide neck bottles. Although it is compact, lightweight, and portable, you cannot compare its usefulness and efficiency to other complicated and massive pumps that can cost you much more. Moreover, it is simple to clean and maintain. Experts regard it as the best travel pump due to its compactness. It can fit into your handbags, baby bags, and can be used anywhere even in the planes. Just position it on top of your nipples and suction, when it is filled up transfer the milk to your storage bottles and reposition until you feel relieved.
- The pump is made of 100% food grade Silicone and free from Phthalate, PVC, and BPA.
- The price is moderate compared to others.
- It is the best travel pump available.
- You can sterilize and clean it by using boiling water
One of the significant benefits, why we like this breast pump is because experts regard it as the best travel pump available on the market and it is easy to clean.
- Hakaa Silicone is easy to clean and sterilize after each use.
- It is portable, lightweight, and compact.
- The product is compatible with Hakaa wide neck bottles.
- The pump has inaccurate measurements.
- It does not come with a lid; you have to pay some extra money to purchase the cover, not too good.
- Sometimes, it has the smell of stale milk despite sterilizing with hot water.
This pump is targeted at new moms that may want to travel long distances with their babies. You can conveniently use it in planes, cars, and other public transportation systems without raising eyebrows. Hakaa Silicone pump is ideal for midnight pumping too. Moreover, you can clean it quickly by sterilizing with hot water, and it is user-friendly and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B00BNQEVXW” template=”horizontal”]
Nuk Expressive Manual Breast Pump is easy to handle as you can control the suction and speed with one hand. It has an ergonomic handle that can minimize hand fatigue. There is also a skin-soft cushion for your breasts’ comfort to enhance convenient pumping. This process is necessary for stimulating let-down. Moreover, parts of the pump involved in milk suction are made with BPA free materials.
The packaging involves container stand and extra silicone valve, one NUK Expressive Manual Breast Pump, collar, seal disk for storage, cap, and 5 ounces breast milk container with silicone nipple (size 1).
- NUK Manual Pump has a skin-soft cushion necessary to promote comfort during breastmilk pumping.
- It is designed for occasional use when traveling away from home.
- You can modify the breast pump to enhance your comfort by regulating the speed and suction accordingly.
- The pump is large enough for big boobs and fits well.
One of the useful features we like about this device is the skin-soft cushion, which will help you express your breastmilk conveniently without hassles. Additionally, it can be adjusted to your advantage to promote your comfort during breastmilk pumping.
- The pump has an ergonomic handle to maximize comfort.
- It is a convenient and compact handheld design.
- The device is simple to clean with dishwasher or handwash.
- NUK is made with BPA free materials.
- The pump doesn’t express much milk and usually comes off.
- The soft cushion shield pinches and pulls off easily.
- It is heavy to handle and makes a loud clicking noise.
This breast pump is made for new moms who may want to be using it occasionally and those with significant boobs because the pump is large to fit correctly onto their breasts. It is user-friendly and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B007SBGO2C” template=”horizontal”]
This double electric breast pump comes with an adapter but uses 6 AAA batteries, which are not included in the kit during packaging. Ameda functions with custom control technology and enables proper adjustment of suction levels while maintaining the personal comfort of the mom. No other breast pump has a kit other than Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Breast Pump. There is an airlock system with proven protection barrier capable of preventing the growth of molds, viruses, and bacteria. Additionally, there is a Cool ‘N Carry milk storage tote with ice packs and four bottles, which can help you pump, store, and carry the breastmilk to any location you desire without difficulties.
- The product has custom control technology.
- Ameda has a proven protection barrier with an airlock system preventing viruses and molds from attacking breastmilk and even your child.
- There is a dual collection unit having a microfiber carry all tote, which you can take to any location you desire.
What we like about this breast pump is that it has a custom control technology necessary for adjusting the suction and speed. Moreover, the airlock system is provided to prevent the growth and survival of molds and bacteria in stored breastmilk.
- Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump has a dual hygienikit.
- It is portable and lightweight.
- The pump is made without DEHP and BPA.
- Designed for single or double pumping.
- The parts are easy to clean.
- The pump is not strong enough for long-term use.
- The suction is not too good as you can barely get enough breastmilk from it.
- It is slow and not flexible.
The target gender for Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump is unisex. It is user-friendly and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B01M0IH5XE” template=”horizontal”]
Manual Breast Pump with Lid is made from 100% food grade silicone, which is an eco-friendly material. It has been tested to ensure no toxic substances like BPA, Lead, PVC, and Phthalates are found on it. The pump is non-breakable, soft, ultra-light design, portable, and ideal for your journeys. It has an ergonomic handle thereby reducing the strength applied in pressing breastmilk out. Simple to clean by sterilizing in boiling water and most importantly, it is vacuum packaging making it difficult for bacteria and other harmful microbes to survive in any part of the container.
- This product is safe for the baby, mom, and even the environment.
- No battery is required to operate the beast pump.
- You can clean the pump by sterilizing in boiling water.
- Vacuum packaging makes it difficult for microbes to survive and grow.
- It reduces breast engorgements leading to mastitis, lumps, and cancer.
What we liked about this breast pump is that you can just put it in your handbag and go to any location either hiking, short trips, camping, etc. due to its ultralight design.
- Manual Breast Pump without Lid has an ergonomic handle.
- It has an ultralight design, portable, and suitable for traveling.
- The product is soundless while pumping.
- It is made with one hundred percent food grade silicone.
- The pump is not suitable for long-term use.
- There are no additional accessories to purchase.
- It puts some extreme pressures on the nipples and cannot suction easily.
This manual breast pump is made for mothers who like to embark on short trips, hiking, and camping since it has an ultralight design and can fit into their handbags or baby bags quickly making it the best choice for most moms. It is user-friendly and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B073V2PWRR” template=”horizontal”]
This product is an FDA approved breastfeeding pump made of eco-friendly food grade silicone and free of toxic materials like BPA, Lead, Phthalates, and others. The design is lightweight, flexible, and portable. You can travel to any location with your baby, and you won’t hesitate to lactate your child conveniently with the help of Silicone Breastfeeding Pump. The device is easy to clean and convenient to use.
- You do not need electricity or batteries before using this product.
- It is a very flexible tool, and you will have a great result with little effort.
- Silicone Manual Breast Pump is exceptionally soft and smooth to use enhancing comfort on the breasts during let-down.
What we like about this breast pump is that it does not need electricity or any battery to function. Therefore, you can carry it to any remote location during hiking, camping, and expeditions and continue enjoying full expression of breastmilk for your child.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- The pump contains no harmful chemicals like BPA, Phthalates, Lead, and other toxic substances.
- Easy to clean by sterilizing with boiling water.
- It is convenient to use.
- It can easily tip over and fall.
- The suction is very poor.
- The lids are useless and cannot prevent spills if the container falls.
Silicone Manual Breast Pump is made for new moms that like traveling, hiking, and camping. It is travel-friendly, user-friendly, and worth buying.
[amazon box=”B00GY1SCW2″ template=”horizontal”]
Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump was founded by a nursing mom and has been coaching moms how to manage their lactating periods for over 30 years. Approved by healthcare professionals because it is free of BPA and BPS and has an ergonomic handle designed to reduce hand fatigue. Lansinoh uses 2-phase technology in stimulating ‘let-down’ process, thereby improving breastmilk pumping. You can pump directly into Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags for convenient lactation. It also has a closed system improving the hygienic condition of the pump by preventing bacteria and molds.
There two breast cups with soft silicone rims measuring 25 mm and 30.5 mm respectively. You will also find Lansinoh baby bottles and nipples necessary for convenient pumping, storage, and feeding.
- The pump uses the 2-phase expression, which stimulates breastfeeding and supports the let-down process.
- The pump is ergonomic and suctions easily and freely thereby reducing hand fatigue.
- It acts as a backup pump if mom is on the go whether on planes, cars, offices, etc.
- Pumping into Lansinoh storage bags reduces transferring of breastmilk.
What we like about this breast pump is that acts as a backup tool for moms on the go, whether on the planes, cars and at places of work.
- It is a convenient and practical pumping solution.
- The pump is lightweight and compact.
- You can quickly clean and reset the pump.
- The price is affordable.
- With consistent usage, the suction may not be as active as before.
- It makes some little noise compared to others.
Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump is made exclusively for females and ideal for moms on the go. It is super easy to clean and reassemble, user-friendly, and worth buying.
How to Choose the Best Manual Breast Pump
Most moms find it difficult and stressful picking a high-quality manual breast pump that can meet their demands and give them value for their money. We have made an excellent buying guide that will help you in choosing a premium breast pump suitable for you using their unique feature such as:
The Warranty Information
One of the best methods of determining a high-quality product is to know the type of warranty information accompanying it. Most breast pumps have a one-year warranty; others have two years warranty and in that order. However, this is the mark of durability and reliability. Therefore, go for pumps with credible warranty information.
Having a Double-Pumping Mechanism
Do you know that you can express both of your breasts at once? Of course, with double-pumping breast pumps, you can express or suction the nipples at the same time. New moms prefer this mechanism because of other engagements at the office or home. Due to the time, it can take to suction breastmilk thoroughly; some mothers prefer to handle the two breasts at once. Sometimes, it can take about fifteen to twenty minutes to complete a suctioning session.
Additionally, experts have expressed that double pumping can raise the level of a hormone responsible for milk production called prolactin. Therefore, single pumps cannot promote increased levels of breastmilk supply making the exercise annoying and cumbersome. However, you may use a single pump if you cannot purchase the double pump.
The 2- Phase Suction Settings
The 2-phase suction settings include rapid phase and slower phase. In rapid phase, the suction settings are done to stimulate fast milk flow while the slower settings are made to boost the let-down process where there is a complete expression of the breast milk. These two processes are necessary to enhance the flow of breastmilk from the mammary glands and even reduce the pumping time significantly.
Any breast-pumping machine without the 2-phase technology suction settings may reduce the flow of milk and the quantity of expressed milk making the entire process confusing and ineffective. Therefore, check to know if the pumping machine you want to buy has proper suction settings to save you from headaches and loss of money.
Source of Power (Adapter or Batteries)
The source of power available to you, whenever you want to pump your breast milk, is essential, if you’re going to make sure that your baby’s nutritional level is not affected due to your busy schedules at home or in the office. If you don’t have access to electricity, the next options are batteries and adapters. You can use batteries to power your pumping machines like Spectra S2 Breast Pump that uses one lithium metal battery to function. Adapters are needed if you are relegated to using your car, then you can plug it into your car’s cigarette lighter to power the machine. Nevertheless, it is not advisable to multi-task here, I mean do not be driving and pumping your breastmilk at the same time to avoid accidents.
Check for Insulated Storage Cubicles
These cubicles are needed if you want to store your breastmilk using ice packs. Additionally, it is valuable if you are pumping on the go but wants to keep the milk for later use. You can find these insulated storage cubicles in the carrying case of your breast pump. Therefore, check and see if these compartments are available before making a buying decision.
What is the Weight of the Breast Pump?
Considering the weight of the breast pump before buying is another good step in determining if you need that particular pump or not. This approach is necessary if you have to carry it back and forth your office every day in your baby’s bag, handbag, or even a briefcase. Again, if you frequently travel, buying a lightweight, compact, and portable breast pump is the ideal thing to do and minimize unnecessary pressures from your busy schedules.
Programmable Memory and LCD Panel
You can record your breast pumping routine using this LCD Panel with programmable memory. This memory indicator is set in a way that you don’t have to be adjusting the settings of your pump whenever you use it. Check with the vendor to know if the breast pump has an LCD Panel with memory indicator to help you manage and monitor the effectiveness of your device.
Microfiber Carrying Case
Most Microfiber Carrying Cases use shoulder straps to make holding the equipment a convenient experience. This carrying case is necessary if you are always shuttling from one location to another, for either job or business meetings. Then, consider getting a briefcase or backpack for smooth movement of your breast pump. After purchasing any of these bags, then you can buy your pump but ensure that it fits appropriately into it to enable you to boost your breastmilk supply to your baby on the go without hassles.
Give Your Baby a Satisfying Feed with a Manual Breast Pump
These are the ten best manual breast pumps available on the market this year, 2018. Having gone through the reviews for each product, our top pick from these ten best manual breast pumps is Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump because it functions with the uGrow app providing useful and professional information on breastfeeding and childcare to the mamas. Moreover, it is lightweight, compact, and the target gender is unisex. Give your baby a satisfying feed with a manual breast pump.