Roller-skating is no doubt one of the fastest growing sports of our time. It offers fun and entertainment to people of all ages. In fact, research shows that kids, adults, and teenagers can strengthen their muscles and increase their heartbeat rate through skating. Introducing your young ones to skating is, therefore, a great way to encourage them to explore their abilities and skills outdoors, at an early age.
Unlike skateboards, roller skates come with minimal risks. It is advisable, therefore, to introduce your child to roller-skating, instead of skateboarding. To guarantee the safety of your child during skating, it is your responsibility to ensure they use the right products. Buy them the right protective gear from a trusted brand. But how do you determine what will work best for your kid? Well, this is where we come in to help you make the right choice. Here is a detailed review on 10 of the best roller skates for kids in 2018. We hope you will learn a thing or two about the best roller skate for kids on today’s market.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table
- Best 10 Roller Skates for Kids Reviews
- 1. Chicago Women’s Rink Skate
- 2. PlayWheels Disney Frozen Kids Classic Quad Roller Skates
- 3. Roller Derby Boy’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller Skate
- 4. Mongoose Boy’s Quad Roller Skates
- 5. Chicago Skates Boys’ Rink Skates
- 6. Roller Derby Boy’s Stinger 5.2 Adjustable Inline Skate
- 7. XinoSports Adjustable Inline Roller Skates for Kids
- 8. Chicago Boy’s Sidewalk Skate
- 9. Chicago Girl’s Sidewalk Skate
- 10. Roller Derby Girl’s Fun Roll Adjustable Roller Skate
- Tips for Selecting the Right Children’s Roller Skate
- What do Others Have to Say about These Children’s Roller Skates?
- Our 2018’s Favorite Roller Skate for Kids
|Roller Skates||Product Dimension||Item Weight in Pounds||Adjustable Sizing|
|Chicago Women’s Rink Skate||13 x 12.8 x 5 inches||3.13||Youth Sizes 1 – 5|
|PlayWheels Disney Frozen Kids Classic Quad Roller Skates||15.2 x 15.2 x 12.5 inches||6||Junior Sizes 1 – 4|
|Chicago Boy’s Sidewalk Skate||11.5 x 10 x 5 inches||4||Junior Sizes 1 – 5, J12 & J13|
|Mongoose Boy’s Quad Roller Skates||15.8 x 12.8 x 4.5 inches||4.65||Sizes 1 – 4 only|
|Chicago Skates Boys’ Rink Skates||10.8 x 9.5 x 4.5 inches||2.06||Sizes 1 – 5, Kid size 10, 11J, J12 & J13|
|Roller Derby Boy’s Stinger 5.2 Adjustable Inline Skate||17 x 17.25 x 6 inches||6||Small: 12-2
|XinoSports Adjustable Inline Roller Skates for Kids||16.5 x 17 x 6 inches||5.16||Youth Big Kid Medium:
|Roller Derby Boy’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller Skate||22 x 17x 6 inches||5.3||Medium 12-1, Large 2-4|
|Chicago Girl’s Sidewalk Skate||5 x 7 x 12 inches||4.8||Sizes 1-5, J12 & J13|
|Roller Derby Girl’s Fun Roll Adjustable Roller Skate||13.3 x 12.5 x 5.5 inches||5||Small fits sizes 7-11
Medium fits sizes 11-2
Best 10 Roller Skates for Kids Reviews
These roller skates are made for girls, as you can tell from the color as well as the feminine shape. The toe stop and the wheels are pink. Chicago Women’s Rink Skates are made of urethane – a tough synthetic material. Its wheels roll smoothly as they have strong ball bearings. In addition, they offer great grip to skaters. These skates are suitable for both outdoors and indoors.
- They are comfortable to wear because they have soft and padded interiors.
- This pair of skates rolls smoothly on most surfaces.
- They are perfect for girls of any age.
The skates are made of high-quality materials, making them worth every penny.
- The wheels are somewhat fragile for rough outdoors.
What we like about it
The design looks cute and feminine. It offers a sense of personality to the user. When your young one is skating in these roller skates, you cannot help but notice how much fun they have.
The Disney movie “Frozen” is popular among most children. These Frozen-themed roller skates have bright colors, which make them a great pick for girls. The straps and toe stops are pink while the boots are blue and purple. The PlayWheels Disney Frozen Kids Classic Quad Roller Skates comes with an auto-adjust system. The wheels are polymer plastic while the boot part is made of tough PVC.
- This pair of roller skates is impact-resistant.
- The design is adorable. You can rest assured your little girl will like it.
- It is durable, thanks to the PVC boot and polymer plastic wheels.
- The straps and wheels are easy to adjust.
- The adjustment feature on the skate becomes loose after long hours of skating.
What we like about it
Kids outgrow their shoes quickly. We like the auto-adjust system because it allows us to fit these roller skates on shoes between sizes 1 and 4.
This skate has a hinged cuff-molded shell, a washable line, cam-lever buckle closure, and a toe stop. You do not have to worry about your kid outgrowing these roller skates because this product includes an adjustable sizing feature. The urethane wheels on the Roller Derby Boy’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller Skate are fitted with deep groove ball bearings.
- It is suitable for both genders.
- The skate is cost-efficient as it has high adjustability.
- The solid material construction of the frame and boot offers adequate support to skaters.
- This roller skate’s inner boot is padded with durable fabric. It gives comfort to the wearer for a long time.
The front wheels tend to get stiff with time.
What we like about it
The manufacturer of this product must have put a lot of thought into the comfort of the user. We gifted a brand new pair of these skates to one of our friend’s kids and they liked the foam heel part. From our technical point of view, we think that the foam shoe not only offers comfort but also protects the user from harsh impact.
This pair of skates has finely stitched boots resting on a sturdy frame. It has a sporty look that is likely to impress most boys. The colors on the Mongoose Boy’s Quad Roller Skates are well coordinated, giving them the classical black and yellow look. The roller skates feature high cut boots and Velcro straps over the lace-up sections. The toe area is reinforced with strong plastic. Additionally, the urethane wheels have high-grade bearings and super-cool lights.
- It is comfortable on the feet; thanks to the powerful strap and buckle combination.
- The boot offers ample ankle and toe protection.
- This skate rolls smoothly, thereby allowing the user to enjoy their skating experience.
- The push-to-adjust button needs regular servicing. It can get stuck when you need it the most.
What we like about it
Aside from the great materials used on these roller skates, we fell in love with the lights on the wheels. They make this product look cool. Even though we do not recommend skating at night, we still think the lights look good in the dark.
This is the boy’s version of the Chicago Women’s Rink Skate. It has a simple design that is likely to stand the test of time. The skate features a blue toes stop, an all-black boot, and red urethane wheels. It is also fitted with an adjustable track and an aluminum base plate. The boot comes with laces for easy fastening.
- The Chicago Skates Boys’ Rink Skates does well on rough and hard surfaces.
- Its high cut boot offers great comfort to a kid’s tender feet.
- The wheels turn smoothly.
- The roller skates are lightweight. Your kid will have an easy time lifting them off the ground during skating.
- The laces on the boot loosen up easily. If your child does not know how to tie laces, you may have to help him/her tie their laces regularly.
What we liked about it
The wheels on this pair work flawlessly. We like the bearing and the abrasion resistant material used on the wheels.
This unique product has favorable features for beginners. It has a lace system, an adjustable sizing, and a wide base. The skate is fitted with a brake pad at the back and supported by 4 polyurethane wheels. Its features also include a well-structured high cut boot with a molded cuff.
- The high-quality bearings enable skaters to perfectly balance and control their skates.
- This Roller Derby Boy’s Stinger Adjustable Inline Skate is a product of a reliable brand. You get value for your money when you buy these roller skates for your young ones.
- It is perfect for medium and small sizes.
- The adjustable sizing system offers a great fit for the wearer.
- The latch can become loose during skating. You may have to tighten it from time to time.
What we liked about it
We picked this skate because of its nice color combination. Its black and red color would make a good gift for boys who want to start practicing inline skating.
This is arguably the most beautiful product on this list. It features adjustable ankle support, 2 illuminating front wheels, a durable frame and a lace-up boot. It is a unique choice for someone who wants a roller skate for kids with light up wheels. The XinoSports Adjustable Inline Roller Skates for Kids is lighter than it looks.
- The lights enhance the skate’s design.
- This skate is adjustable for kids of different ages.
- The frame offers ample support, making them safe for inline skating.
- The illuminating wheels do not need batteries.
The bolts on the wheels can get loose after a few days of skating. You may have to tighten them before your child starts using the skates.
What we like about it
This is a cool roller skate for kids because of its illuminating wheels. We are impressed with how well the wheel lights up, especially when the skater is in motion.
The Chicago Boy’s Sidewalk Skate is a good roller skate for kid boys as it features red, blue, and black, which are believed to be masculine colors. Its boot is shaped like the trendy ¾-cut sneakers. Other features of these skates include a fold-over Velcro strap, extra padding on the ankle collar, as well as a lace-up front.
- It is lightweight, meaning your son will have an easy time skating in them.
- The extra padding on the ankle collar adds protection and comfort to the boot.
- This skate fits properly on children because it has laces.
- The sizing is accurate. You will not need to get one or two sizes smaller to make sure it fits your child.
- The product is highly resistant to wear and tear, which makes it durable.
- The wheels do not have enough gripping power. We would not recommend using these skates on steep slopes.
What we like most about it
The large and wide wheels attracted our attention. They offer stability, thus allowing children to have adequate control of their skating. The size of the wheels makes this product a good beginner roller skate for kids.
This is an elegant pair of roller skates designed with great style. The Chicago Girl’s Sidewalk Skate has smooth rolling wheels that are reliable for little girls. The urethane wheels provide ample stability, which is important for learners. This skate also has a lace-up system, a ¾-cut boot, an adjustable torsion truck, a padded ankle collar, a two-brake provision, and a foldable Velcro Strap.
- The two-brake system offers safe stops.
- This skate is good for both pros and beginners
- It has a beautiful design that can easily complement a little girl’s clothing.
- It is adjustable for the perfect fit.
- The quality of the self-adhesive power strap is not the best you can find out there. The straps wear off easily.
What we like about it
We did not have to buy a size or two bigger because the double adjust chassis allowed us to fit the skates on our child without any problem.
This is one of the best roller skates for girls because of its unique build. It has wide and large rear wheels made of polymer urethane. The skate comes with cam-lever locking buckles that are excellent for new skaters. Other amazing features on the Roller Derby Girl’s Fun Roll Adjustable Roller Skate include a molded ankle support unit and an adjustable frame.
- They fit snuggly.
- The rear wheels offer optimal support.
- These skates have an intuitive and beautiful design.
- The sizing is not accurate. You may want to buy one or two sizes bigger to ensure the perfect fit for your child.
What we like about it
We cannot stress enough about the support system used on these roller skates. After giving this skate to our daughter, we did not have to worry about her falling. The rear wide wheels also helped her learn how to skate on her own.
Tips for Selecting the Right Children’s Roller Skate
Shopping the best sports equipment for your child can pose many challenges, as kids tend to have their preferences. Some of them like what their friends have, while others want products similar to the ones advertised on TV. When picking a roller skate, there a number of things you need to take into account. For example, you need to consider the growth spurt factor because children outgrow their clothes and shoes faster than adults do. Below are some tips to help you choose the best roller skate for kids.
♦ The size
Due to budget constraints, you may be tempted to purchase skates that are a size bigger than the actual size of your kids’ feet. This may be under the pretense that this will allow you to save some money because your children will use the roller skates for a longer time. Nothing can be further from the truth. Buying bigger skates comes with a number of consequences:
- The kid cannot skate comfortably because the skates offer insufficient support
- Oversize roller skates are too heavy and cumbersome.
- Since the skates do not fit properly, they can cause bruising on the user’s calves and ankles.
It is challenging for a child to control roller skates that are bigger and heavier than their feet.
♦ The wheels
The majority of parents fear that their children might hurt themselves while skating. Hence, they end up getting skates with wheels that hardly turn. These types of wheels deprive kids the fun that comes from flawless skating. Do not buy skates with problematic wheels because your young one might lose interest in skating. Instead of skating, they will walk in the roller skates.
You need to understand that falling is part of the learning and mastering process. Buy skates with smooth rolling wheels and protective gear to safeguard your child from injuries.
♦ Colors are important
Boys and girls tend to like different colors. Before picking roller skates, you should consult your child about his/her favorite color. If you do not want to ruin the surprise, you can buy skates that have the same colors as the shoes they like to wear most of the time.
The most preferred roller skates for kid girls are pink. On the other hand, most boys prefer blue roller skates. Neutral-colored skates are ideal for both genders. Do not force your kids to wear a color they do not like because they may end up hating the color, roller-skating, and the skates.
♦ Prioritize on quality
In roller-skating, the quality of the products is paramount. Skates need to be strong and sturdy because they are used outdoors, where they are exposed to harsh environmental conditions. Do not choose colorful and stylish skates, and forget about the quality factor. We advise buyers to opt for branded products when choosing cool roller skates for kids.
What do Others Have to Say about These Children’s Roller Skates?
While buying the majority of these products, we had to do a lot of research. We read comments and reviews from parents, repeat customers, and reviewers on different web platforms. Some of our friends also shared their opinion on the best roller skate for kids.
The majority of parents seem to focus much on comfort and stability when purchasing these roller skates. They prefer skates that come with padded inner boots and wide frames. Other parents have also mentioned that most of these products are great for learners because they have wheels that roll smoothly. Those who have bought the XinoSports Adjustable Inline Roller Skates for Kids have reported how much their kids love their pair of skates.
Looking at reviews from repeat customers, we noticed that many of them had good things to say about the roller skates. One buyer shared his experience about how he bought skates from Roller Derby Skate Corp for her granddaughter and she ended up using them for 5 years, before she outgrew them. This goes to show that these are durable products. Some return customers emphasize that these products need regular servicing to extend their lifespan.
Many reviewers have praised the polymer urethane wheels that come with the roller skates on our list. They feel that the material allows kids to skate on hard surfaces without ruining their skates.
However, not everyone seems to be impressed by these products. Some buyers are not happy about the quality of the straps used on some of the roller skates. They have mentioned that the straps became loose after a few wears, making the skates look old and unsafe. They are of the opinion that manufacturers should use high-quality Velcro.
Our 2018’s Favorite Roller Skate for Kids
If you want to introduce your child to inline skating, this is, most likely, the right product for them. The skate has a charismatic design that compels kids to be enthusiastic about skating. It offers great performance and comfort, both of which are essential to beginner and pros alike. The color and material of the boot give off a sporty vibe.
The braking system has an intuitive design. This feature makes the skates safe and easy to use. Like any other parent, we prefer products that guarantee safety for kids. After giving this roller skate to our 6-year old nephew, he was fast to try them out. He has not yet perfected his skating skills, but we could tell he was having an easy time skating in the Roller Derby Boy’s Stinger 5.2 Adjustable Inline Skate. He did not complain about the fit, which makes us believe that the sizing of this product is accurate.
We recommend these skates to older kids who know how to balance while inline skating. You may want to replace the braking pad, every once in a while, if your child skates outdoors for prolonged hours.