It’s very awe-inspiring how babies always manage to be so messy no matter how you try to help the situation. They just always end up messing themselves and their surroundings up and they seem to get such a thrill out of it too.
If the mess worries you, as it should, then you’ve probably tried different solutions to make the situation a bit more bearable. You probably have already tried baby food splash mats too but the fact that you’re here tells us that some manufacturer somewhere disappointed you so you’re back for another one. Or maybe you lost the last one or you just want to get yourself a new one. Whichever way, you came here looking for the best baby splash mat and we are happy to say that we have just what you need.
So, if you’re ready, let’s proceed to our reviews on baby splash mats.
PS: This review does not contain an entry on Heinz baby splash mats.
Table of Contents
- Review of Top 5 Best Baby Splash Mat
- Best Baby Splash Mat 2018 Reviews
- What is a Splash Mat?
- Why do you Need a Baby Splash Mat?
- Are There Types of Baby Splash Mats?
- How to Select a Good Baby Splash Mat？
- Other People’s Opinion
- Our Favorite Baby Splash Mat is…
Review of Top 5 Best Baby Splash Mat
|Sugarbooger||Bumkins||Children’s Factory||Prince Lionheart||Nuby|
|Best For||Small spaces||Travel||Under an art easel or a potentially very messy area||Small spaces||Under a high chair|
|Pros||Versatile square shape;
With zippered pouch;
Easily wipes clean;
No phthalates, BP, PVC, or lead
|Versatile square shape;
Lightweight and portable;
No phthalates, BP, PVC, or lead.
Can be trimmed to fit;
Easily wipes clean.
|Fits small spaces;
|Matches any décor;
Fits small spaces.
|Cons||Can’t be dried in a machine||Not quite large||Not very portable||Doesn’t cover the entire club||Bulky and, therefore, not portable|
Best Baby Splash Mat 2018 Reviews
[amazon box=”B003I85R6I” template=”vertical”]
This is an excellent baby floor splash mat especially for mums living in small apartments. It’s small enough to fit most spaces and if, in any case, it happens to be too big for a particular space, then you could fold the mat around the edges.
It’s super lightweight and even comes with its carrying pouch to make porting easy. Another factor that makes this mat a fantastic companion is the fact that it is made of laminated cotton canvas. Because it is made of this material rather than plastic, it is much easier to fold when compared to 100% plastic mats.
Most importantly, this mat does not come with any toxic material that could be harmful to you or your baby. It is completely free of phthalates, PVC, and BPA.
- Its square shape makes it very versatile.
- It comes with a zippered carrying pouch.
- Cleans easily by wiping.
- No toxic materials like phthalates, PVC, BPA, or lead.
- Only good for small spaces at best.
- Design is somewhat picky.
[amazon box=”B01M0TX7Z6″ template=”vertical”]
This mat is a tad bigger than the last one we just reviewed at 42 inches. It’s great for use both at home and on the road. So, if you love to take your little munchkin on adventures a lot, then you could get this particular mat. The design is modern; and because it’s completely waterproof, you can rest assured that your floors will always be well protected.
Well, to be very practical, the size might be a little too small to completely protect your floors if your child loves to play catch with his food. But generally though, normal spills would be caught up in this mat without any problems. To reduce your workload because you already work so hard, the mat is machine washable. Plus, it is completely safe from toxic chemicals like phthalates, PVC, BPA, and lead.
- Square shape gives it versatility.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Machine washable.
- Free from toxic chemicals such as phthalates, PVC, BPA, and lead.
- Cannot be dried in the machine.
[amazon box=”B000NNQQ8E” template=”vertical”]
This is a pretty large baby floor splash mat. It measures 50 inches by 72 inches. So yeah, it might actually be too large for some spaces. But this shouldn’t pose a problem. In fact, it’s better than having a smaller mat. This way you have options, you can either trim or fold it around the edges.
Also, it’s so versatile you can use it almost anywhere and anyhow. From the top of a table as a tablecloth to beneath the high chair as a baby high chair splash mat, your options are numerous. It’s very easy to clean too since you simply need to just wipe down with a cloth. Altogether, it does a fantastic job while saving you the time and stress of intensive cleaning.
- Large size.
- Can be trimmed to fit.
- Thick and durable.
- Wipes clean.
- Not very portable.
[amazon box=”B004HKIB32″ template=”vertical”]
The Prince Lionheart Catchall comes in a unique circular shape that’s designed for small spaces. It’s made of laminated cotton, so it’s more lightweight and foldable than mats that are 100% plastic. Being lightweight and portable, you can be sure that it transports easily as well. Its non-stick back also makes it impossible for the mat to slide around on the floor.
It cleans very easily and in various ways. You can either take a sponge to it or simply toss into a washing machine, whichever is more convenient at the time. Although it can’t be dried in a machine, it does not take any time at all to dry by airing.
- Great for small spaces.
- Machine washable.
- Also wipes clean
- Non-skid back.
- Can’t cover the entire floor space.
- Can’t be dried in the machine.
[amazon box=”B00TOKRSZM” template=”vertical”]
Here’s another circular splash mat, and this one will make a lot of sense as a baby high chair splash mat. You won’t have any problem with your splash mat clashing with your kitchen décor because it’s completely transparent. It’s 100% vinyl plastic so it wipes off easily. And because it comes with a 50-inch radius, there are few spaces it won’t fit into.
Yeah, remember we said that it makes a lot of sense as a baby high chair splash mat? Well, this is due to its circular design. So, from the high chair, however your baby flings her food, this mat will catch it. But at the same time, the same design that makes this mat excellent as a high chair splash mat also limits its use. You can only use this for feeding. Use it for playtime or crafts and you will have a real situation on your hands.
It’s quite durable being made of thick plastic. It is also waterproof so your floors and carpets are also protected from spills. If your baby is one of those whose favorite pastime is dropping his cup full of water, then get yourself this splash mat.
- Matches any décor.
- Fits small spaces.
- Bulky and therefore not very portable.
- Limited to feeding times and not ideal for messy activities like arts and crafts.
- Tends to form creases when constantly folded.
What is a Splash Mat?
A baby splash mat is a piece of fabric or any other material that’s waterproof and is placed around a child while they are eating or playing to catch spills, stains, food, and other kinds of mess. Because it helps to catch the mess from reaching the floor, you avoid the need for intensive cleaning after mealtimes or playtimes. Kids can freely engage in their activities without parents fearing for permanent damage to their floors.
Splash mats are also referred to as splat mats, feeding mats, or dropcloths.
Why do you Need a Baby Splash Mat?
Primarily, you need a baby splash mat if you don’t want to lose time, energy, and your mind cleaning up after kids. Babies just have this way of making a mess that makes it look like a scientific skill that can’t really be explained. So, if you want to live in peace in your own house that you paid for, then you should get a baby splash mat. Then maybe get a camera and get some incriminating video that you’d use to “embarrass” them when they become teenagers.
There are several places where a baby splash mat can come in handy. For instance, a baby food slash mat will work excellently under a high chair, and at the table, and so will a baby water splash mat. The bathroom is one other place where a baby splash mat could come in handy and some manufacturers carry special baby bath splash mats just for that purpose.
Here are some other places where a baby splash mat could come in handy…
- It can be used under an easel.
- You can place a baby splash mat pool under your kids’ indoor water table.
- At the restaurant under your baby’s seat.
- To designate play area when outdoors, some moms go for a baby splash mat with canopy. It takes care of the mess and keeps your baby from the sun.
- There are also times when parents go swimming with their babies, in such cases, they would need a baby wearing splash mat.
Are There Types of Baby Splash Mats?
Yes, there are. But the difference mostly lies in the shape, size, and material rather than function because all splash mats function the same. You can find mats of different shapes, from square to rectangular to circular. But there’s no best shape. You just need to go for something that’s ideal for your living space. And in terms of materials, the two most common types are the 100% plastic mats and the fabric mats with waterproof backs which look like cloth diapers.
Cleaning Your Baby Splash Mat
Baby splash mats are about the easiest things to clean in the world. In fact, all most of them need is a simple wipe down and they are good to go again. Sometimes though, if it’s been a while, or the mess is pretty bad, then you might want to consider using a washing machine. However, the first thing you should do when it comes to cleaning is to consider your manufacturer’s instructions. In essence, whatever the manufacturer says is law if you want your mat to last for as long as possible.
How to Select a Good Baby Splash Mat？
- Use: How you intend to use your splash mat is one of the first factors you should consider when going for any baby splash mat. Something that will simply be placed under an easel will definitely not be the same as something that’s just going under a high chair. When you decide how you want to use your mat, it should then inform the size and material of mat you go for.
- Size: Before getting a splash mat, have a rough idea of the area of the space you intend to cover. Splash mats are differently sized, so you need to go for one that works for you.
- Décor: Of course, you don’t want a splash mat that clashes with your home décor especially since you’re going to be using it so often; it’s practically going to be a part of your home décor. If you don’t want something that’s too picky, you can always go for neutral or transparent colors.
- Cleaning: Like we said before, splash mats are very easy to clean but then you want to be sure that the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning are processes that are comfortable and convenient for you to follow through in the long run.
- Thickness: if you’re going to be traveling a lot with your mat, then you should, naturally, go for a lightweight mat. But if it’s just going to be sitting at home without stepping out, then the weight might not be such a big deal.
Other People’s Opinion
The Sugarbooger Jumbo Floor Splat Mat appears to be a favorite of many mums. They believe it’s very cute and the fact that it comes with the unique and educational alphabet design just makes it so darling.
Other moms with more experimenting kids cannot afford to go for cute over practical. So, they prefer the Children’s Factory Rectangular Splash Mat because of its size and thickness. The fact that it can double as a baby food splash mat and a splash mat for messy activities is a godsend for many mothers.
Our Favorite Baby Splash Mat is…
Today, we are going with most mums and we are saying that our favorite baby splash mat is the Sugarbooger Jumbo Floor Splat Mat. And why not? It comes with so many positives. It’s cute, it’s got that beautiful ABC design, it wipes clean easily, and it is safe for you and your baby. What more could you possibly ask for?